We have another very interesting Career Paths post for you as this time we're profiling Gareth Cuddy, Managing Director of Ireland's only dedicated eBook store, www.directebooks.com and an eBook distribution company, www.epubdirect.com . Thanks to Gareth and if you know know anyone who would like to be included in this blog series please email and let us know: [email protected]
Name: Gareth Cuddy
Marital Status: Married
Highest Education: BA Hons, English & History, Post graduate diploma in Education
Institutions attended: UCC
1) What is your current role? Managing Director of Directebooks Ltd, an eBook company. We operate Irelands only dedicated eBook store, www.directebooks.com and an eBook distribution company, www.epubdirect.com
2) How did you get into your current role/ industry? By chance – began researching opportunities in the field and saw some niches that could be exploited.
3) How many years have you been in your current role/ industry? 3
4) What other roles did you do before finding your current role? Sales and Marketing manager and various management positions in the hospitality sector.
5) What was the worst job you ever had? Recruitment! Seriously.
6) Did you always want to work in your role/ industry or did you get into it late? Arrived late – love technology and books, so a perfect marriage.
7) What advice would you give to other people looking to get a career in your industry? Technology and entertainment of every sort are becoming increasingly entwined. Ours is a great industry for ambitious talented people who can have a genuine impact on a worldwide scale.
8) What do you like most about your job? The variety of work that I do each day. Meeting clients and thrashing out ideas with the team is great fun too.
9) Anything you don’t like? The workload is incredibly heavy – but it will all be worth it someday. (I hope!)
10) What time do you get up for work? 6.30
11) Where would you like to retire to? West Cork
12) Favourite website(s)? Twitter is great for industry news and there are a lot of very useful sites out there, but I can’t live without checking www.teamtalk.com & www.football365.com at least twice a day.
13) What would be your dream job? I would love to be in a position in a few years to invest in start-up companies, passing on experience as well as getting wrapped up in the excitement of early-stage companies.
14) What are your goals or plans for the future? The above plus watching my 3 boys grow-up and become successful in their own rights.
15) And finally, the three luxury items you want if you were trapped on a desert island?
My e-Reader (loaded with 1000’s of eBooks of course), Sky Sports and a toothbrush!