Burke quizzed about Barry donation

Wednesday, February 28, 2001
Ray Burke has been quizzed by the Flood Tribunal today about the £35,000 he received from Century Radio director Oliver Barry in May 1989.

The court heard that two months earlier, in March '89, Mr Burke issued a directive instructing RTE to lower its fees for transmitting the Century Radio signal nationally.

The former Minister for Foreign Affairs said there had been no conflict of interest and Mr Barry's donation was for general election expenses.

He said nothing underhand had happened in regard to the personal donation but admitted that no receipt was given for the money.