Thursday, April 17, 2014

Q: My husband was asked to take a pay cut he was told this was voluntary and my husband said no because he had already taken a pay cut a few months prior. He heard nothing back from his employer so he assumed that the paycut would no go ahead. However it did go ahead a few weeks later without my husbands knowledge, he has tried to consult his employers but has not received an answer. Where his employers legally able to cut his wages without his consent and if not where does my husband stand regarding this situation?.


A: It is illegal for an employer to change your husband wages without his prior consent. The underlying legislation is the Payment of Wages Act 1991 and your husband can take a case against his employer for this. 

While it is difficult to do while still working with his employer, he would still take his case to the Rights Commissioner.